Christmas time was thoroughly improved when we went next door to help make cookies. The kids got busy with their recipe, and us Moms tried out a Gluten Free recipe. It was a perfect Saturday afternoon. So I am sharing our recipe- adapted from Land o Lakes (link at the bottom.) They turned out perfectly not-too sweet.
Christmas Cut-Outs (Gluten-Free Recipe)
1 cup Butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 large Egg
2 tablespoons orange juice or milk (I used milk)
1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla
2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see note)
1 teaspoon baking powder
optional—Red and green gel food colors or cocoa powder
White coarse grain sugar, if desired
How to make
1. Combine butter and sugar in bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, orange juice and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Add flour blend and baking powder; beat at low speed until well mixed.
2. If doing plain cut-outs, skip directly to the chilling the dough in the fridge step.
* If doing swirled colors— Divide dough into thirds; set aside one-third. Place remaining thirds into separate small bowls. Starting with small amount of gel food color, tint dough in bowls to desired shade of red and green dough, adding additional food color, if necessary.
If doing chocolate two tone cutouts, make two 1/2 batches of dough, make one normal vanilla, and add up to 1/2 Cup cocoa powder to the flour step of the second batch.
This recipe also makes great thumbprint cookies.
3. Shape each dough into a ball; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. Wrap each in plastic food wrap; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
4. Heat oven to 400°F.
5. Working with half of each dough color (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), drop tablespoon-size pieces of dough from each color onto lightly floured surface in random pattern with dough touching. Roll out dough pieces to 1/4-inch thickness, forming marbled design. Cut with 2- or 3-inch cookie cutters. (for thumbprints, roll 1 to 1-1/2 inch balls in your hand, place on cookie sheet and press indentation with thumb… fill with 1/4 teaspoon of jam before baking.
6. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets or line cookie sheet with baking parchment. Sprinkle with coarse grain sugar, if desired. Bake 7-9 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool fully on cookie sheet as they are very tender and break easily till cool.
NOTE—Gluten-Free Flour Blend: Combine 1-1/2 cups coconut flour, 1/2 Cups extra fine sweet white rice flour (or sub all 2 cups with the coconut flour if you can’t find the extra fine rice flour ), 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.